Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How can i wean myself off of suboxone and what are the

Customer Question
possible side effects?...
how can i wean myself off of suboxone and what are the possible side effects?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Doctor Cameron :

weaning your self off suboxone takes several weeks

Customer:

what are the side effects if i go cold turkey?

Doctor Cameron :

There are 4 stages to taking suboxone

Doctor Cameron :

Induction- when you start the medication

Doctor Cameron :

(about 1 week)

Doctor Cameron :

Stablization- It's during this stage that the dose of Suboxone is adjusted to the lowest dose that suppresses withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor will discuss the plan for your recovery and how Suboxone will fit into that plan.

Doctor Cameron :

Maintenance- During this phase, addiction counseling is important. In fact, the success of your treatment can be greatly improved by attending some sort of professional counseling after you have stopped taking opiates. If maintenance dosing is chosen, the Suboxone will be prescribed at the lowest possible dose that is effective in stopping any withdrawal symptoms or opiate cravings. For some, this phase can last months or even a year or more.

Doctor Cameron :

Withdrawal- several weeks. During this phase your doctor will slowly decrease your dose, being careful to do so in a manner that produces the fewest withdrawal symptoms or opiate cravings. The eventual goal of this phase is to stop Suboxone treatment altogether

Doctor Cameron :

• Nausea

• Headache

• Sleepiness

• Dry mouth

• Sexual dysfunction

• Urinary retention

• Dizziness and others

• Read more: Suboxone Side Effects and Problems — ChooseHelp.com

?

Doctor Cameron :

If you stop cold turkey, you will feel as if you stopped the narcotic abruptly-

Doctor Cameron :

anxiety, insomnia, sweating, agitation, nausea, vomiting, piloerection (goosebumps)

Customer:

how long would i be without suboxone before i noticed wd symptoms? yuk...that was the worst!!

Doctor Cameron :

if you taper off slowly, you shouldn't have any wd symptoms

Customer:

not to be persistent, but if i ran out, or my perscription fell down the toilett, how long would i have to still feel normal? Thank you very much. I appreciate your help and will accept as soon as I hear

Doctor Cameron :

Hmm. well, it depends on where you are in your tapering.

Doctor Cameron :

But if you are still a week or so out, you may feel okay for a couple of days and then you will have some withdrawals

Doctor Cameron :

But if you are on a low maintenance dose, this will not be very remarkable

Customer:

i am taking 24mg a day...is that a lot? i just signed up for the unlimited questions, does that mean i still need to ask them separately?

Doctor Cameron :

If they are different questions

Customer:

is 24 mg a lot?

Doctor Cameron :

24mg a day is kinda a hefty dose

Doctor Cameron :

You have a while to go before you taper down...

Customer:

yikes. ok. thank you very much. trying to do the right thing. you have been very helpful, maybe i can get down to 16 a day, then 8, then 4 for a week, then 2 for a week and then...FREEDOM! have a good night :)

Dr. Cameron
    Dr. Cameron, Doctor
    Dr. Cameron
    Dr. Cameron
    Dr. Cameron, Doctor