Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

i have severe upper arm pain, in reaching up, reaching out

i have severe upper arm pain, in reaching up, reaching out to pick up something, even to put arm into a sleeve. It hurts during the night and all day, gets worse when using it more.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

Since when are you having this symptom? Is there any swelling associated or any other symptom may be pain at neck or fever? Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition/ are you on any medication?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This has been ongoing for about 4 months, no swelling, it just started around mid-summer. No fever or neck pain. I haven't had this looked at yet, wasn't sure what I had done if anything to it. Only medications I am on is Topomax 25mg, Seravant, Vitamin D 50,000 units. This is really starting to interfer with my daily activities. I can't hardly roll over in bed during the middle of the night it hurts so much.

Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

We need to consider few causes. Let me explain a bit.

My first bet will be irritation of the nerve concerned. It can be at the spine level or at its course. The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs { soft tissue cushion if I may say }. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal { formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around }. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally.

The other cause we need to consider is referred pain may be from shoulder abnormality/ lesion at the arm {bone, muscle or soft tissue}/ vitamin or calcium deficiency. Heart abnormality looks less likely.

I would suggest you to have a physical check up along with few investigations like MRI cervical spine/ nerve conduction test/ x ray shoulder/ EKG/ blood tests to clinch the diagnosis. Treatment will follow.

Till than anti inflammatory tabs, warm or cold compress may help/ avoid sitting for long in one position {may be computer}, pushing or pulling.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless