Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

can a ct scan without dye contrast show a unruptured brain

can a ct scan without dye contrast show a unruptured brain aneursym? I had a ct scan without contrast about 2 months ago- because of head pressure,neck pain and ear pressure. DOc said came back normal. However I have now developed in the last week a vision change. My vision seems blurry and I have those stabbing headaches still. Could a CT scan have missed and unruptured aneursym? Or could one have developed this quickly? I am scared :( I am 28 year old female.

Small aneurysms may be missed on CT without contrast.

With contrast, they would be usually be detected.

An MRI is much better in detecting aneurysms. Ideally, an MR Angiography would be the best method to detect aneurysms of the brain.

You should also keep in mind that your symptoms may be also due to a panic attack.

You can discuss with your doctor about doing an MRI or if possible, an MR Angiogram.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SO is this something I should talk to her immediantly about. I mean should I go see her now and go over this with her? So I still could possibly have an aneursym?
Of course, this is not an emergency.

But you can certainly make an early appointment with her ASAP and consult her. You can discuss about these tests.

The possibility of an aneurysm is there, but there is no reason to assume that you have one. You are likely to be having a panic attack.

But still, you should meet her as soon as you can and discuss this with her.