Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

What is the best treatment for chronic plugged eustachian

What is the best treatment for chronic "plugged" eustachian tubes in a 64 year old female who also has chronic sinus headaches and drainage problems? Can artificial drainage tubes be placed in the plugged eustachian tube(s)?

Welcome to Just Answer;

I agree that artificial drainage tube after re-establishing a new opening to prevent re-occlusion and fluid accumulation inside the ear is likely needed. If a drainage outlet is not established, there is high risk of chronic ear infections which can lead to inner ear structure scarring and severe hearing loss. I suggest that you follow-up with the ENT doctor for closer evaluation for possible placement of ear drainage tube. Such drainage system could likely help resolve or significantly reduce the chronic sinus problem. Evaluation of the sinuses with CT Scan and/or MRI would likely be necessary to better assess the problem.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.