Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a client that when she turned 50, she "started to

fall apart" She developed...
I have a client that when she turned 50, she "started to fall apart" She developed accute Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. She complains of joint pain and fatigue. I've visibly noticed her ankles, wrists and elbows are puffy, almost like localized sacs of fluid. Also, her hands are calussed and dry which is something she never had prior. Any ideas what could be going on?
11/8/2010
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that she is experiencing the symptoms and complications of an autoimmune connective tissue or collagen vascular condition, such as rheumatoid arthritis, polymyositis, Scleroderma, Lupus, or thyroid disorder, among others. The specific condition can be determined following a closer evaluation with tests including ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, dsDNA, Anti-Sm antibody, Anti-SSA (rho), Anti-SSB (La), TFTs, Anti-Scl-70 and ANCA panels. In general, these autoimmune conditions can be complicated with carpel tunnel syndrome, and do respond positively to prednisone treatment. However, the use of prednisone should be temporary and/or at a very low dose if longer term use is desired, due to the side effects of water retention and increase blood glucose level, cataract, increase eye pressure and/or blood pressure. Often other disease modifying agents such as methotrexate, cyclosporine, azathioprine, or infliximab can be added or used solely to control the progression of the condition. The specific drug to be used depends on her response, the results of the tests, and her doctor's determination. I suggest that she follow-up with her doctor for the above considerations.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon