How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can men catch gardnerella or Bacteria Vaginosis or can a woman pass it on to a man.

This answer was rated:

can men catch gardnerella or Bacteria Vaginosis or can a woman pass it on to a man. I am asking because i am reading on line that men cannot catch it but I have been given a prescription for my partner to take the same course and he is male. If this is not necessary then I don't see the point of him taking the medication.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

No, BV - bacterial vaginosis is an Overgrowth of NORMAL vaginal bacteria, so by definition, men do NOT get affected by BV. So, men do NOT need to be treated, and women actually do not always need to be treated with antibiotics - sometimes a pH balancing product such as RepHresh or Boric Acid vaginal suppositories can help keep the vagina balanced and hence no more BV.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for the response. Can you please tell me where can I get the RepHresh or Boric Acid suppositories and are they just as affective as antibiotics? How long would I take them and is it the same as when you take an antibiotic; no sexual activity for the duration of the treatment or are they just regular treatments against this infection?

RepHresh is available OVER the counter - so you can get this at any pharmacy, no prescription is required.

Boric acid will require a prescription.

And, they can be just as effective as antibiotics.

Basically she can use the RepHresh when she feels or notices the odor and use for a few days each time - this is just trying to keep the vagina with a perfect pH balance and this will keep the vaginal bacteria to a minimum with a good vaginal pH.

You can have sex, but realize that semen/sperm does set off the abnormal vaginal pH, so she should use the RepHresh soon after sex and then she will not have an odor.

Dr. Owen and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you