Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Sharp pain when straightening knee

Customer Question
sharp pain when straightening knee
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
11/2/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 years ago

Greetings.

It is on one side or both?

Any injury?

Is there swelling, redness, warmth tenderness of knee, calf, thigh?

Any significant past medical illness?

Since when is the pain?

Dr. Arun

on right side, at front of knee. no injury. no swelling, redness, tenderness. no significant past medical illness. has been going on for a few weeks. does not happen all the time, but sometimes when I am walking, especially if walking fast, I get a sharp pain in my knee when stepping forward with the right foot.

This can be tendinitis or bursitis. A mild knee osteoarthritis can be associated or concomitant. Following measures would be helpful;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.
a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.
b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.
c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.
d) Avoid climbing stairs.
e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen

4) Physical therapy

5) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy (iontophoresis / phonophoresis) by physical therapist done at physical therapy centers.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor