FamilyMD
FamilyMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Licensed in Georgia, Board Certified Family Practice
19526965

What can cause a false positive blood alcohol test

Customer Question

what can cause a false positive blood alcohol test
Category: Medical
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 6 years ago.

Dear Sir:

The blood alcohol test detects the amount of alcohol is a patient's blood at the time of testing. The blood alcohol test (BAC) is one of the most accurate methods to diagnose blood alcohol levels.

However, there are some medicines that can alter the blood alcohol test results. Some over the counter medications contain a certain content of alcohol, including cold and cough medications, mouthwashes, and certain prescription medications such as Dilantin, Theophylline, Furosemide, Lomotil, and CImetidine elixirs.

You need to ask your doctor to review your medications to see which ones might cause false positive elevated blood alcohol tests due to interactions with alcohol, or alcohol content within the medication itself. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Dr. P

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

this does not help me at all i am a doctor and know this. i need a list of every thing that

might couse the test to be wrong. i had not had adrink for over 9 hours and felt fine

i had coffee and breakfast but a blood test was high . i need to know anything that

could cause this and i need it now