Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have mid back pain on the right side only. The pain is causing

I have mid back pain on the right side only. The pain is causing a radiation to the top of my mid spine,which has ceased. Now the pain is under my right shoulder blade in the back area.I have had an xray 3 days ago and am awaiting the results.The pain has been here for at least 6 weeks.They say it may be kidney stones.what else could it be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Back pain on one side only has a few broad causes. If the pain were radiating from the front of the abdomen, the scenario would have been changed to quite an extent. Most of the causes of pain on the right back, in the area you specified can be narrowed down on a clinical examination.

Possibilities with a pain in this region are of:

Nerve impingement (Radiculopathy)

Muscle cramps

Kidney stones

Ureteric stones

Mass in the kidney

Retroperitoneal mass of any etiology

Right sided Hydronephrosis or hydroureter (swelling of the kidney or the right ureter respectively)

Hope this helps.

Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Best.