Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How much does it cost to have your tubes tied in the state

Customer Question
of Michigan and how old...
How much does it cost to have your tubes tied in the state of Michigan and how old do you have to be? Can you recommend a good website with educational material?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
10/23/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 7 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

The national average cost for bilateral tubal ligation is $3000.

There is a age limit of 35 by most doctors, but the most important consideration is the choice of NOT having any more children.

reversal of tubal ligation is very expensive so patients are asked to think about it and inform themeselves adequately before making the decision.

The cost (average in Michigan is $ 2500-3500). It can be done both by mini-laparotomy or laparoscopically

http://www.yourcontraception.com/birth-control-methods/tubal-ligation/tubal-ligation.html

Thanks

could you please elaborate on the age limit of 35 by most doctors. I am 36 years old. Does that mean I couldn't have it? Also, what are the possible side effects and statistics?

Most doctor consider statistically and for health considerations that most women do not WANT to have more children after 35 years of Age.

Failure rate is 4 in 1000

700-750,000 done in US yearly

50% done immediate post partum

The most important side effect directly related to BTL are

Ectopic pregnancy (less than 0.2%)

Endometriosis (0.5%)

Increased menstrual bleeding and cramps (so called post tubal ligation syndrome) the statistics is not clear and most doctors doubt if all reported cases are due to BTL

The Physician
The Physician
The Physician, Doctor