Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have a soft lump that has formed next to my belly button

i have a soft lump that has formed next to my belly button it has actually grown over a three day period and is the size of a nickel, it's not really painful but you can feel that it's there, what is this lump?
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What side of the belly button?
Have you ever had surgery there, even as a child?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That would be the top of the belly button. I have never had surgery there or anywhere period.
Can you describe what this feels like and the size and anything else - then I will be able to answer you - thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It feels soft like it may be filled with liquid of some type and as I said before it is the size of a nickel. I really have a nausea feeling that came with it.
Okay - this MOST likely what is known as an Umbilical Hernia - usually this are NOT concerning - but they should be evaluated by a general surgeon - NOT just a General physician to make sure that your small intestines is not getting suck in a layer of tissue below the belly button.
Basically there are many layers - and the Below the skin there is Fat, below the fat is a layer called the Fascia which is a thick fibrous layer and sometimes there is a hole in the fascia that develops and this hole is called a Hernia (an opening when translated) - and if you have a hole, then a surgeon like myself identifies the hole and closes it surgically - this is a VERY simple procedure and done in less than 5 minutes in the operating room - it is done while you are asleep.
Another possibility is a benign mass called a Lipoma - this is easily removed and is nothing more than a collection of fatty tissue - that is like a ball -and then removed.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So why do I feel nausea and will that feeling go away. If I dont see a doctor will it go away?

This is MORE than likely a Hernia just like I explained - and when you get entrapment of bowel (small intestine) this will cause nausea and vomitting - so Please see a general surgeon - and this is such an easy fix to get the surgery and you feel better and then no more lump/bump either.
Thank you for your question and Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for answering your questions.