Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I was cleaning my ear canal with a q-tip (I know it's not a

I was cleaning my ear canal with a q-tip (I know it's not a good thing to do) & I've always been very careful. However, I had an accident today (about 20 min. ago) - while the q-tip was in my ear canal, my arm hit it by accident and the q-tip hit hard against my eardrum. I experienced immediate severe pain. After taking a few advils, I very gently placed a q-tip back into my ear canal. When I removed the q-tip, there was a spot of blood on it. Right now, I still have some sharp pain in my ear and the ear feels kind of stuffed. Do you think that I ruptured my tympanic membrane or only bruised it? Is there a need for me to go to the ER? Thank you.
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

i am ENT doctor and want to help you

DR HASAN :

Welcome to JA

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

thank you

DR HASAN :

Sorry to hear about this incident

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

i appreciate that

DR HASAN :

Is there a fresh bleeding coming out of the ear canal

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

no, nothing is coming out of the ear. the only time i saw blood was when I placed a qtip back into my ear canal to see if was anything there.

DR HASAN :

Are you sure its blood

DR HASAN :

Are you having any ringing noise in ear also?

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

almost certain - it was red and just a spot on the qtip

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

no additional ringing (I do have a slight case of tinnitus, but the noise has not elevated or changed)

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your info

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

welcome

DR HASAN :

Yes there is a strong possibility that you have damaged your ear drum because there is no other source of getting blood after a trauma

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

would you recommend that I go to the ER or is it ok to wait until Monday to see my regular physician?

DR HASAN :

But i assure you that there is nothing much to worry because the ear drum traumatic perforations heal very well.

DR HASAN :

You need to go to ER because doctor may prescribe antibiotics

DR HASAN :

There is always a risk of getting secondary infection in the ear after such events

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

yes, I'm aware that the eardrum can usually heal itself. Is it dangerous if I wait until Monday to see my doctor or do you strongly suggest I go to the ER today?

DR HASAN :

Since i am an ENT doctor so i suggest that you should be just careful about one thing that you should avoid water entry in that ear

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

thank you - I read about not allowing water to enter the ear canal while it is damaged

DR HASAN :

You can use ear plugs or a cotton soaked in oil or Vaseline to be put in ear during a bath

DR HASAN :

Yes i would recommend an ER visit to have it examined because you will be in need of antibiotics because ear get infected very easily

DR HASAN :

But No ear drops

DR HASAN :

Never use Q Tip again, its never recommended

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

thank you - I appreicate your advice. In other words, I should not wait until Monday to have this looked at, correct?

DR HASAN :

Yes i think you should go to ER, just to avoid any ear infection

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck and good recovery

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

thank you. I will do that today. I appreciate your good advice.

DR HASAN :

please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my answer.

DR HASAN :

Regards

DR HASAN :

:)

DR HASAN :

donot worry , i repeat, it will heal soon

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

yes - very much. thanks again.

JACUSTOMER-noietmjv- :

thank you :-)