How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abid Your Own Question
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5985
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Abid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An exray of my right elbow indicated calcification on the

Customer Question

An exray of my right elbow indicated calcification on the tendon. How serious is this?
It appears to be happening elsewhere in the body. The pain can vary but intensifies at
times where I cannot use the right arm. What is this called? Treatment? Type of Tests
recommended for followup treatment? Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.


Welcome to JUST ANSWER.

Regarding your question i want to share with you that calcified tendon is a condition that causes the formation of a small, usually about 1-2 centimeter size, calcium deposit within the tendons of the elbow. These deposits are usually found in patients at least 30-40 years old and chances increases with age, and have a higher incidence in diabetics. The calcium deposits are not always painful, and even when painful they will often spontaneously resolve after a period of 1-4 weeks the cause of this problem is not well understood and in most of the case it resolves itself without any surgery but in some cases the deposition may increase and can give rise to conditon called postcalcific stage at this stage patient may have pain so i will suggest you to get follow up x ray every month and get consultation from orthopedic surgeon on regular basis .

Regards ***** ***** found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The pain began after an injury and has increased lasting 4 months. A similar pain
has generated on the left. At times, I cannot lift my Starbucks Cup and need to use
two hands. What questions do I ask? What treatment do you recommend? Is there
another concern since this does not go away and has lasted considerably longer?
I believe you are recommending an orthopedic surgeon? I do have osteoporosis. Hope
further information helps. How can one help the calcium to dissolve? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Well regarding treatment nonoperative treatment is nearly always the first line of treatment for calcific tendonitis. This includes exercises and stretching can help prevent a stiff. Exercises can help prevent this problem from occurring anti inflammatory medications can help treat the pain associated with the calcific tendonitis such as tab advil 2 tablets twice a day may be helpful. The application of moist heat is tremendously helpful with pain relief from calcific tendonitis.Surgery is recommended in the following situations when symptoms continue to progress despite treatment when constant pain interferes with routine activities (dressing, combing hair) ,when symptoms do not respond to conservative care so i will suggest you to keep these facts in mind and then follow the orthopedic surgeon.