Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have a stiff neck and pain in the upper back left shoulder

Customer Question

I have a stiff neck and pain in the upper back left shoulder blade. Feel it in the shoulder when swallowing and sometimes when I belch. No chest pain whatsoever and I can work out without issue. Pain is like a twinge like someone is sticking their finger in my shoulder blade. It doesn't "hurt" but it's not normal. I do sit at a computer all day. Any idea what it might be? I feel great otherwise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr.Tharun :

hi

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

Hi Doc

Dr.Tharun :

Does it hurt to move your neck? Any abdominal problems?

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

I can move my neck freely. No abdominal problems whatsoever. Neck feels stiff at times though

Dr.Tharun :

Any recent fall or injury of any sorts? Any medications you are on? Any medical illness like diabetes?

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

Feels like a knot in my upper back under the left shoulder blade though

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

I did slide into home hard 2 months ago in a baseball game. No meds

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

I'm generally comfortable but it feels like food and drink pass through my shoulder blade on the left and I sometimes feel it when I belch. Wife rubbed the area and I felt it to the touch slightly

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

No known illnesses that I am aware of

Dr.Tharun :

It could be a neck spasm with pain radiating to the shoulder or injured shoulder blade (scapula) during the accident.Some times abdominal pain can radiate to the shoulder pain, but there are abdominal symptoms also.

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

Generally a pinch under that shoulder. Just felt it when I stood up

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

I had read that. My abdomen feels 100%. This is only high up on my back towards left shoulder.

Dr.Tharun :

I would suggest you to have some anti -inflammatory like motrin or advil to see if it helps.If it helps it must be some musculo-skeletal injury.Have a break from sitting in front of computer all day.Have some cold compress over the region.

Dr.Tharun :

Go ahead with the appointment and get the necessary tests like X Ray done to clear the issue.

Dr.Tharun :

You can try these measure in the meanwhile.

JACUSTOMER-r9h68s3w- :

I'll give it a shot. Appreciate the input. Can't get an appointment for a few weeks. Feeling the twinge when food and drink passes through and during some occassional belches was what made me want to ask about it.

Dr.Tharun :

There are some gastro symptoms here which could be related to esophagus problems.

Dr.Tharun :

You can add an antacid like prilosec or neksium for any possible reflux or inflammation.

Dr.Tharun :

Take frequent small feeds and cut down on fatty and spicy foods.

Dr.Tharun :

Any more queries I can help you with?