How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18462
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have horrible joint pain in my wrists,knees,ankles,fingers

This answer was rated:

I have horrible joint pain in my wrists,knees,ankles,fingers and shoulders. I had a hip xray done that said I have "os acetabuli" mild degeneration and calcification in my hip and or pelvis. I have had pain for four years and recently had mri's on my shoulder hip and pelvis. It shows mild arthritis in my shoulder, a type II acromin and fluid. In my hip mri I have a tear. Now I am getting rashes with welts around my joints, it's the worst in my low back where my pain started four years ago.Almost all of my joints pop on there own, I even have pain in my elbows.My doctor did blood tests for arthritis to see what kind I have but im told the test came back ok. How do I get a doctor to do the correct tests? He doesn't know what os acetabuli is? I am only 29 and before my pain started I was very healthy.They have never done images of my wrists,knees,ankles, and I cant get them to. No one thinks i am in pain. they all think it is myofasious pain. Please help. Thank you.Also my right knee lost its reflex about six months ago and today it feels like I fractured it but I didn't fall for twist it wrong its my bone that hurts. My doctor said since it isn't swollen or red or hot we don't need to worry about it right now? I am worried....

There are several issues to consider regarding your situation.


The os acetabuli found on your hip MRI is fairly common and may or may not be the cause of symptoms in the hip. A significant number of persons with these findings have no symptoms. It appears to be a precursor for osteoarthritis of the hip over time for many people. If there is evidence that it is contributing to the pain in the hip, then surgery may be worth considering. The appropriate specialist to be seen for this would be an Orthopedic Surgeon.


The os acetabuli would not be causing any of the other symptoms that you are having. There certainly could be osteoarthritis forming in other joints, and the finding of mild arthritis in the shoulder can be related to this. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, but mild arthritis on MRI does not usually cause significant symptoms. There are many different other forms of arthritis or other inflammatory conditions that also can be present. It is also true that myofascial pain can cause diffuse pain, and myofascial pain can be quite severe. The most appropriate specialist to see to evaluate the cause of the diffuse pain would be a Rheumatologist. A Rheumatologist would also be the most knowledgeable in the appropriate tests to be done to evaluate the problem. The American College of Rheumatology maintains a search engine so that you can find a Rheumatologist near you at


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have looked into osteoarthritis and it said that it doesn't effect your little joints? Why would my blood tests come back almost normal? and can I give you what my blood tests read so that you can look at them?

There are many different types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is primarily due to wear and tear in the joint and would usually not have any positive findings on blood tests. It is possible that the MRI could show osteoarthritis changes, and it would be expected that there would be no abnormal blood tests. Osteoarthritis most often affects the large joints, but it can affect the joints of the fingers Certain other forms of arthritis will have positive results on blood tests and the Rheumatologist would be best at performing the appropriate tests. Yes, you can include the results that have been done so far, so that I can review them.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I left one of the hospitals discharged with degenerative joint desease. She gave me nabumetone 500 mil. to take twice daily and it is starting to take the inflamation down. What test can confirm what kind of arthritis I have if blood tests don't? Thank you so much for responding to me it is very comferting. and again sorry about the spelling

Degenerative joint disease is another name for osteoarthritis. The diagnosis of osteoarthritis is based upon the findings on physical examination and x-rays.


All of the labs that you included are general lab work. None of these pertain to the evaluation of arthritis. The TSH assesses the thyroid function, and is high in the normal range. The Hgb, Hct, and MCH are measures of red blood cells and are only slightly elevated, so are not worrisome. The BUN and BUN/Cr are measures of kidney function and fluid status, and can be elevated because of mild dehydration. The AST is a liver enzyme, and mild decrease is not a problem. Blood tests to evaluate for arthritis would include sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein, rheumatoid factor, and anti-nuclear antibodies.


A RA level of <15 would be normal.


Dr. D. Love and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you