Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
10798432

Hello, I just noticed that my fingernails have a light purple

Hello, I just noticed that my fingernails have a light purple tint to them, not a vibrant purple but a kind of very light lilac... I read that purple nails indicated low oxygen levels in the blood and I often get anxiety/worry about things so really just wanted to know if I have anything to worry about, if they look wrong, or if I am over reacting and that when people say 'purple' nails they mean a more vibrant, noticeable, obvious purple?

I have taken a photo and uploaded it if you want to take a look: http://skybluestudios.co.uk/fingernails.jpg

As you can see, it's not a vibrant purple, just a slight tint.

Thank you!
While it is true that nails can become a purple/blue color when there are low amounts of oxygen in the blood, having taken a look at your picture, I don't believe that seems to be the problem. However, for your piece of mind, I would recommend that when you next visit your doctor you ask them to do a pulse oximetry test on you (which is simply putting a device on your finger for a minute or two, and it will tell you how you are oxygenating). However, I do not think you have anything to worry about regarding this.

Regards.