How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Anil Your Own Question
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9144
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr.Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having sharp pain and numbness in my left arm, hands and

Resolved Question:

I am having sharp pain and numbness in my left arm, hands and fingers. The pain is more severe when i turn my head a certain way. This has been going on for about 10 days.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Do you have associated neck stiffness ?
Any associated chest pain ?
Shortness of breath?
Heaviness in chest ?
Any other medical history ?
Are you taking any medications ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I turn neck to left pain in shoulder.
No chest pain
No shortness in breath
Sometimes pain reaches chest near arm pit
No medical history
No medication
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 6 years ago.
As such your symptoms suggest the possibility of pinched nerve in the neck. ( Cervical Spondylosis)
Cervical Spondylosis is caused by any condition that puts pressure on the nerves where they leave the spinal column.
These nerves after passing from neck come to armpit as brachial plexus and then radiating to arms and fingers.
Any sort of pressure in pathways of nerves can result in radiating pain,tingling sensation in arms and hands ,fingers.

So you should undergo an MRI/X-Ray examination of the cervical spine ( AP and lateral views),Nerve conduction test ,EMG for further evaluation
Take proper rest.
You should go for physical therapy for pain management.
Take OTC Motrin .
Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses .
Even EKG should be done as a precautionary measure .

So i suggest you to consultyour regular doctor for a clinical examination and as per required your doctor may refer you to either an Orthopedist or Neurologist for further evaluation and management.
If pain is severe then visit ER
I hope this helps.

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 9/9/2010 at 5:31 AM EST
Dr.Anil and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you