Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left temple area. It is

frequent and some are more...
I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left temple area. It is frequent and some are more intense than others. it's scares me.
9/7/2010
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Chat Conversation Started
DR HASAN :

Hi

Customer:

Hello

DR HASAN :

Welcome to JA

Customer:

can you help me

DR HASAN :

Since how long you have this

DR HASAN :

yes i am here to help you and i am sorry to hear about your pain

Customer:

From mid morning today

DR HASAN :

Is it raditing to any where else and involving both sides or just one sides

Customer:

No just the left temple area

DR HASAN :

any nasal obstruction, fever, fluid in throat,

Customer:

No

DR HASAN :

any nausea , sensitivity to light, tenderness on pressing that area

Customer:

juat a little tenderness in both temples

DR HASAN :

hows your blood pressure

Customer:

I have a very goos blood preasure

DR HASAN :

have you measured it recently

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

any other symptom beside that temple pain

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

any diagnosed medical condition

Customer:

I have asthma that is in check, Diverticular condition, allergies to lots of plants, hay fever in check.

DR HASAN :

Do you feel pressure in your head on bending, any pain in the area above the eye

Customer:

Oh I also have glaucoma in check with drops. Sometimes when it stabs it feels like it moves over the left eye but no preasure when i bend

DR HASAN :

any pressure in eye or vision problem right now

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

ok thanks for the info

DR HASAN :

the causes for this type of headache can be tension headache, migraine, sinus headaches, temporal arteritis etc

DR HASAN :

Sinus headaches is unlikely in you with the current symptoms

DR HASAN :

Tension headache and migraine is one possibility but symptoms are not classical.

Customer:

is that all. I have had two sinus sugeries but have never had sinus pain such as this.

DR HASAN :

The tenderness in the temple areas is something pointing towards the temporal arteritis but one cannot be sure without examination and investigations

DR HASAN :

Yes thats why i said its not that likely but it is a possibility

Customer:

usually my sinus pain is preasure pain is preasure

DR HASAN :

Temple area is not usually a site for sinus pains but sometime can present like this

DR HASAN :

Yes i am an ENT doctor so quite familiar with sinus pains

DR HASAN :

thats why i said that sinus pain is a possibility but not likely

Customer:

Then you don't believe this is someting I should be concerned about?

DR HASAN :

Sinus pain can never always be pressure like sometime it can be like this

DR HASAN :

Blood pressure is something i am concerned about

DR HASAN :

sometime high blood pressure can present with temple discomfort

DR HASAN :

How many hours has elapsed since this pain started

Customer:

Ok thank you Can you tell me what my blood preasure shouldbe.

Customer:

about 3 hrs.

DR HASAN :

Normally blood pressure should be like 120/80

DR HASAN :

With 3 hrs i suggest you can wait for some more time to see how it goes, if no relief you should get it evaluated

Customer:

mine could be about 145 over 78

DR HASAN :

but i donot suspect anything serious other than blood pressure prob

DR HASAN :

145, if you are not hypertyensive already can cause this disconfort

Customer:

thanksDr

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor