Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My cheek is numb on the right side of my face. and under my

eye. no other signs. it...
my cheek is numb on the right side of my face. and under my eye. no other signs. it just kinda hurts. i dont think its broken cause its not flat and i can open my mouth and smile and it still feels the same as usual. but how obvious would it be? what if it is. cause its numb and kinda hurts. and a little swollen. but its not bruised anywhere and it feels normal when i press on it.
8/28/2010
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Sumit Bassi :

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,are you diagnosed of any medical condition

Dr Sumit Bassi :

has any tests been done for your present symptoms

Dr Sumit Bassi :

any problem biting food?

Customer:

no i just noticed it and it doesnt hurt

Customer:

no problem biteing

Dr Sumit Bassi :

ok

Customer:

if it was broken how could i tell and it feels like theres a crack on the right side of my face

Dr Sumit Bassi :

any history of trauma?

Customer:

no

Customer:

what are the signs of a fractured cheek bone?

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Based on what you mentioned,I will advise that you see a physician who can do a physical exam,complete metabolic profile as low calcium may present with similar numbness as you described.

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Fractured cheek bone may present with pain ,increased swelling

Dr Sumit Bassi :

difficulty biting

Dr Sumit Bassi :

so it seems less likely

Customer:

can this happen just by bumping my cheek on my bfs head?

Dr Sumit Bassi :

no,fracture with such bumping is least likely,still a physician physical exam,if required imaging has to be done to rule it out

Dr Sumit Bassi :

do you have problem opening the right eye?

Customer:

even if the fracture was really tiny what would the signs be of a tiny cheek fracture would it be noticeable?

Customer:

no it opens just fine

Dr Sumit Bassi :

There is a possibility that your symptoms could be due to idiopathic bells palsy,which may present with similar unilateral numbness of face,

Dr Sumit Bassi :

hair line fracture(tiny) could be possible

Dr Sumit Bassi :

so imaging tests like xray may be required to rule it out

Customer:

is a hair line fracture able to heal back to its original place? without medical attention

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Yes,it will,it does not require any medical attention,but if swelling persists or increase of pain is noticed,then do see a physician

Customer:

how long would it take to heal?

Dr Sumit Bassi :

It may take 3-6 weeks to heal

Customer:

if i pressed on it would it hurt?

Customer:

cause it doesnt usually if it was fractured even a tiny bit it would still hurt when i pressed on it right?

Dr Sumit Bassi :

That is not specific sign for a fracture,as it may present variably

Dr Sumit Bassi :

still as i mentioned earlier,physician physical exam and imaging tests is required to confirm it

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Your welcome,Please do click on accept if satisfied with my answer.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor