Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Knee injury unable to bear weight normal r knee buckles

knee injury unable to bear weight normal r knee buckles
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Sumit Bassi :

i am sorry to know about your symptoms

Dr Sumit Bassi :

when did the injury take place

Dr Sumit Bassi :

what medications have you tried so far?

Dr Sumit Bassi :

any swelling ?

Customer:

hyperextended knee during work for the past 2 months, today as i walk to class i hear and feel a pop on r knee and had a sharp pn had to shift weight to my other leg for a second and could not walk with out pn normal x ray are negative i got noprisen for pn and swelling and a brace

Dr Sumit Bassi :

I am sorry to know about your symptoms and the trauma the knee

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Based on what you mentioned,it seems that you must have be having underlying ligament(anterior cruciate) injury as it may present with similar popping sound and happens due to hyperextension of the knee

Dr Sumit Bassi :

xray is not sensitive test for ligament injuries

Dr Sumit Bassi :

so mri needs to be done to confirm it

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Meanwhile I will advise that you get over the counter topical xylocaine 2% which will help subside your symptoms

Customer:

i can still walk slow but every now and then i get a sharp pn how concern should i be should the knee be completly inmobilise or partialy

Dr Sumit Bassi :

I will advise that you do not put weight on the affected knee ,try to take rest as much as you can,so that you do not exacerbate underlying injury

Customer:

how can this be resolve

Dr Sumit Bassi :

Mri report will let us know the extent of injury,mostly it is resolved by taking anti inflammatory medications and rest

Dr Sumit Bassi :

I do not think there is complete tear of the ligament ,based on what you described

Customer:

how long does it take average to recover

Dr Sumit Bassi :

looking at your age ,no history of medical condition,it takes 3-6 months,but it varies in every individual

Customer:

ok thank you Doctor