Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I recently found out that i might have a half sister and

I recently found out that i might have a half sister and me,her and my mom did a Dna test.I got the results, but can not understand what exactly they mean.it says based on the statistical analysis of the above data it is 1.91 times less likely(or a 34.364454230537%chance) that tested sibling 1 and sibling 2 are half biological siblings versus not being related at all.inclusion of the known parent may lead to additional results relevant to this relationship and is highly recommended.it is possible we share the same father but he is not available to test.I noticed on the results me and my possible sister share commo alleles.we share 9 out of 15 and out of those 9 we are above the 50% mark,which i understand we would need to be to be considered half sisters.can someone please answer this for me .it is my birthday today and i so wanted to know if she is or is not my half sister.If she is that would be awesome news.thanks

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is most likely that both of you are at least half sisters. It is possible still that both of your share the same father and mother. An index number of 1.0 means there is a 50% chance that the two people are siblings. An index number of 10 or greater is almost certainly conclusive. An index number between 1 and 10 that exceeds the next closest number by a factor of three is probably conclusive. Your index 1.91 (34% chance) that you are not siblings, but 8.09 (66% chance) that you are siblings.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Congratulations on finding your sister, and happy birthday!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
wow thank you so much i just want you to know i was tested as my mother was to increase the likely hood of me and my possible sister being my sister . it is about if me and this other person(possible sister share the same father. and from what i know my mom and dad did not have another child together.this person in question was born before all of us .meaning me and my brother's.she has a different mother.i just want to make sure you are clear on that and i would like a response back to this and i will definately accept your answer.thank you so much
Thank you so much.

Based on the result of the DNA test (usually reliable), both of you are certainly half siblings. Such degree of DNA result rarely occurs by chance. I am really happy for you. Take care.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much and what awesome news to get on my Birthday.your are so kind and thank you so much for getting back to me so quick.you are awesome.
You are most welcomed.