Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My left foot is swollen and has many small red dots on it as

Customer Question
well as being darker at...
My left foot is swollen and has many small red dots on it as well as being darker at the start of the toes.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2010
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 7 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

How long you have this problem going on?

Mysticdoc :

Have you seen your doctor for this?

Mysticdoc :

Any tests done?

Mysticdoc :

Do you have any other medical condition?

Mysticdoc :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

Swelling off and on for awhile

Customer:

Spots just recent

Customer:

no tests

Customer:

I am on penicillin for a tooth extraction

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

thank you

Mysticdoc :

ok

Customer:

also taking Sulfameth/Trimethoprim

Mysticdoc :

Do you het any pain while walking to the point you have to stop?

Mysticdoc :

I mean do you get any pain while walking

Customer:

no, but sometimes feels a little wierd.

Mysticdoc :

did you get this red dots after you started Sulfameth/Trimethoprim?

Customer:

It is recent, so maybe

Customer:

swelling for a year or so.

Customer:

off and on

Customer:

darkness at the start of the toes for about a year.

Mysticdoc :

ok thank you

Mysticdoc :

This is likely related to incompetent veins in your legs.

Mysticdoc :

THis is common with advancing age, also with long standing.

Mysticdoc :

Once you develop swelling, the foot discoloration may happen after long time.

Mysticdoc :

Peripheral arterial disease is another possibility, although this is unlikely since you do not get pain on walking.

Mysticdoc :

Other systemic diseases like heart disease, liver disease & kidney disease should be ruled out.This is easiy done with routine blood tests.

Customer:

I sit mostly at job and home

Mysticdoc :

For now, try to keep your feet elevated as much as possible.

Mysticdoc :

Wear compression stockings during walking

Mysticdoc :

Well --when you sit you keep your feet hanging,. This aggravates the incompetency of the veins.

Mysticdoc :

Hence, the problem.

Mysticdoc :

You need to see your doctor for a clinical evaluation for the blood tests I suggested above.

Customer:

explain incompetency

Mysticdoc :

incompetency means the veins are not able to carry the blood to the deep venous system properly resulting in blood stasis or accumulation at legs --causes swelling & discoloration.

Customer:

would this cause cramps in the foot/ankle? I get those too at night many times.

Mysticdoc :

Yes, this can cause cramps.

Mysticdoc :

A doppler ultrasound is also required to check the blood flow through your arteries & veins.

Mysticdoc :

these are simple tests 7 treatment is available.

Mysticdoc :

Please see your doctor.

Customer:

OK, thanks I will.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist