DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Can drinking alcohol cause heart palpitations or inflammation

Can drinking alcohol cause heart palpitations or inflammation of the heart? I have hypertention and resently I discovered after drinking a couple of drinks of rum I had heart palpitations. I do not have a history of drinking alcohol. I may have a couple of drinks when I am out socially. This situation has happened x2 which prompted me to think there might be a relationship.

Welcome to Just Answer...

Sorry to hear about your problem...

Well the answer to your question is Yes...Alcohol intake can cause palpitations, This effect of alcohol is usually associated with binge drinking, for example people who do not drink daily but when they take 3-4 drinks together in a short span, then palpitations can occur...However, these palpitations you are having should not be ignored and requires evaluation specially in the presence of an important risk factor (Hypertension)...

A detailed cardiac evaluation, including an EKG is required...Moreover, Holter monitoring (a device which monitors heart rhythm for 24 hours) may also be required to detect any abnormality in cardiac rhythm in order to chalk out a definitive diagnosis and subsequent management strategy...

While awaiting consultation, avoid taking alcohol (or at least avoid binge drinking), and caffeine...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Hello from JA
I would like to make an addition by way of second opinion to the above.
Avoid alcohol completely.
Depending on your genetic make up, alcohol can be completely toxic to the heart as it is to the liver in some drinkers.
A relatively short period of drinking time in such individuals has resulted in severe cardiac damage.
Binge drinking is an alcohol use disorder and should be addressed professionally.
Not a joke, but is classified as harmful drinking if you continue in light of the palpitations.
Find me for more information if you need it.
You should not drink at all until you learn more, if ever.
Good luck

DT: Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit so that I get credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. Bonuses most helpful . Answers for informational purposes only.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.