How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Cameron Your Own Question
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Cameron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have pus coming out of my penis, my pee has been burning

Customer Question

I have pus coming out of my penis, my pee has been burning for 2 days now, and the pus came up today. I have had the same girlfriend for 5 months now. I haven't had sex with any other girl since last December. I think it may be a urinary tract infection but i really don't know. I'm waiting until Monday to see a physician because of money issues. There is no pain anywhere other than when i pee and that is going away. The situation doesn't seem threatening but still the puss is scary... what should i do?

Already Tried:
I had some Amox-Clav left over from a past infection and i tried some of that. I looked it up and it said it slowly cures UTI's so i thought it may do the trick until Monday when i can see a doctor.

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  dr.sehr replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer,

On the basis of information and history you have told me ,most likely you are having lower urinary tract infection.Now my advise would be that you should start following measures.

Increased intake of oral fluids(water)
Start cranberry sachet -- as it would help in cure of symptoms by curing your infection.

My advise would be that you should have following investigation done.
COMPLETE routine urine examination(urine R/E)
Urine culture and sensitivity

And after culture report you should have to add oral antibiotic other then co-amoxiclov......after your physician advise whom you would consult on monday.

Antibiotic which you are using is not very much effective so you should change it as it is not covering the spectrum of bacteria.

God bless you

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

The most common cause of this would be a urethritis- caused by a sexually transmitted organism. You need to get swabbed and tested for this. It is still possible that a urinary tract infection can cause this, but that would be less common seeing that there is a purulent discharge from your penis. You would have to have A LOT of pus (and therefore be very sick) to have this happen.

I would not start the antibiotic until seeing your doctor and seeing what the cause of this is. Taking it now may cause some partial treatment and mask the cause..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the advice. It really does not seem possible for this to be a STD because like i said this is the one girl i have been with since December. On Thursday or Friday we had sex with no condom and she was just finishing up her period. I think that may have been a cause to what is going on here. Am I putting myself at risk by waiting until Monday to see a physician?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No back pain fevers of chills..... just a lot of anxiety from the whole situation. I mean, considering all of the circumstances, it just does not really add up. I'll put it this way, if you were in my situation what would you do/think. Is it possible to get an STD from a the same partner youve been with for 5 months and not get that STD until 5 months in of constant sexual intercourse?
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

You are not putting yourself at risk by waiting one more day. It has nothing to do with her finishing up her period. I would definitely wait and get swabbed to make sure what this is... If you can go to an urgent care clinic or even the ER, they can do it there.

Of course, if you have any back pain or fever or chills, you need to be seen sooner.

warm regards

Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Dr. Cameron and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

Thank you!

Listen- I am an ER doctor and I know the facts. It is possible that she may have slept with someone else. You have the signs and symptoms of someone with a sexually transmitted disease. Yes, it is still possible that this is a urinary tract infection, but if you take amoxil for a STD, you will not be treating it properly. That being said, there are also nonSTD causes for urethritis- such as a virus or even autoimmune. But you need to be swabbed, period.

warm regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just found the thread.... Well normally I would be suspicious. But i have been wiht this girl 24/7 for the last 3 months. Unless she was drugged and had sex with some guy I doubt that it's possible. We have been having unprotected sex for 5 months now and htis hasnt happened until right now. I'm going to get swabbed on monday for sure and i will stop the amox. From the symptons I have told you what do you think it could be other than a STD.
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.
Urethritis or a urinary tract infection. If you looked at the link for nongonoccocal urethritis, you will find other causes of it.