How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 34678
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a blood blister on my neck for weeks and wont go away.

Resolved Question:

I have a blood blister on my neck for weeks and won't go away. When I puncture it, it seems get smaller but come right back. I tried to pop it and then it kept bleeding. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.



Is it red, warm, painful, tender?

Are you diabetic?

Where on the neck is exactly situated?

How big is it?


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is dark red, doesn't feel warm and no pain at all. It is kind of hard since it fills with blood.

It located to the left of my Adam's apple and is about a little over 0.1 inch big.

I don't think I have diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.



The refilling of this is likely due to following;


1) The internal lining secretes the fluid and despite the puncture; fills it up again.

2) Communication with some very small blood vessel, which fills it.

3) The puncture done at home is inadequate to collapse it completely and inadequate drainage does not let it empty out fully.

4) Mild grade presence of infection.


A culture is usually required of the drained fluid to look for the infection. It would need a proper drainage by your doctor at office as home drainage is inadequate to empty out the full content which is essential to collapse the cavity and subsequent healing. So consulting to your primary care physician or a general surgeon would be prudent. This is a minor procedure and can be done at office.


Please feel free for your follow up questions.


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Draining the blood will solve the problem? Once broken, it is really hard to stop bleeding.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

You are very welcome.


This means that it has communication with an internal small vessel. These are called as hemangioma (these can vary in size) and should not be tried to drain at home. This requires a special instrument called as cautery which drains or excise it completely with stopping of the blood (by cauterizing the blood vessel).


It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.


Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you