Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

How does it take to get your iron level back up if it was

how long does it take to get your iron level back up if it was very very low? my son has special needs and his count was 50 where is should be much higher? I think the normal count is 125?
thanks
Anne
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer...

What were his symptoms?

Is he on any treatment?

Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He was having black stools.

He is now on palafer 5ml twice a day

he is also taking losec

he was also taking alot of advil over the years which might have caused the back stools

thanks

Thanks for the input...

Well chronic use of Advil must be the culprit, as it can cause gastric erosions/ulcers resulting in bleeding and this presents clinically in the form of black colored stools...This blood loss results in iron deficiency...

Losec will help to heal his ulcer, and once healed, the bleeding will stop completely...

Since his iron levels are too low, he will benefit from iron supplements, which will return his hemoglobin back to normal early depending upon the baseline hemoglobin...

Patients usually start feeling symptomatic improvement with in a month after replacement...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

could there still more bleeding if it's not a ulcer?

could you suggest anything else it could be?

the reason I'm asking is our doctor is on holidays until next week and the secretary said there was a red flag but it's ok until we get to see him

would you suggest anything else for him until we see him?

Ideally speaking, he should have undergone an endoscopy for exact visualization of the ulcer from where the bleeding has occurred...And in case any bleeding vessel is visualized, it is treated endoscopically to stop bleeding from it...

Usually in cases of severe bleeding from ulcer, patients develop vomiting containing blood...In case of small intermittent bleeds, patients presents only with melena (black colored stools), which appear to be the case of your son as well...

I will suggest him to avoid advil or any such drug, continue with losec and avoid large fatty and spicy meals...It is expected that this is going to settle soon, however do consult your physician discussing the possibility of endoscopy as well when you meet him...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

do you think it will take a month or so to get his iron level back up?

he did have a scope three years ago and was treated for acid reflex

he has CP and is unable to speak to let us know

how about taking tylenol, sometimes his is in discomfort would that cause any other problems for him

thank you

Well yes, he can take tylenol on as required basis...

Time taken to get iron levels back to normal depends upon whether bleeding has stopped completely or not?

Is his oral intake in good?

Is he getting any iron supplementations?

If he gets iron supplements, and has good oral intake, and bleeding has stopped completely, his iron levels will definitely rise with the treatment, and his hemoglobin can rise up to 1gram/week i-e 4 gram in a month with oral supplements...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he is taking pahlafer, 5ml twice a day

he had problems with his oral intake, but can take purred food, puddings, drinks

if he has a count of 50 where the noraml is something is the 120's would that take along time to increase his hemoglobin

did that make any sense to you

The levels you are mentioning suggest a deficit...

Greater the deficit from normal, more time will it take for iron stores to recover and vice-versa...

Since he is taking iron, therefore, it is expected that he will be fine early, in a month or two at most...

Regards...