How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Haroon Iqbal Your Own Question
Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1531
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Haroon Iqbal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just noticed a small hard lump above my knee cap that I

Resolved Question:

I just noticed a small hard lump above my knee cap that I can move back and forth a little. It isn't sore or anything. It's a little smaller than a pea.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

What is the color and consistency of the lump?

Any hisotry of truama on the knee?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is under the skin, not on my skin. I walk around 30-40 miles a wk. but no trauma to the knee.
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your input.

Sometimes , a fluid filled structure just in front of the knee cap called pre patellar bursa is chronically inflamed , with or without pain , due to some infection or trauma and the process causes fibrosis and inflammation , making a lump like structure in front of knee.The best option is to take out an x-ray and then apply a padded knee support or a support only for sometimes .If the lump doesn't get cured , the doctor can take out the fluid through a needle or through a minor surgical procedure.So lease see your physician to assess the possible ways to clear the lump.
Hope i have answered your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just wanted to be sure it couldn't possibly be any sort of cancer. I assume it wouldn't move around if it were something like a malignancy?
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 7 years ago.
you are right , most of the malignancies , are fixed to underlying structures , and the malignant lump is mostly painful, rapidly growing and many a times oozing on the surface , associated with rapid loss of weight of the patient.It is not a malignancy apparently , and if it doesn't have any of the qualities, and the possibility of a chronic bursitis are tremendous.I will suggest you to see your physician to assess it and possible treatment modalities.
Dr. Haroon Iqbal and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you