Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a bump(cyst?) on the bottom of my foot in the center

Customer Question
of my arch, what could...
I have a bump(cyst?) on the bottom of my foot in the center of my arch, what could have caused this? The bump is somewhat hard and seems to be in the tendon that runs along the bottom of my foot. It does not hurt when I push on it. It is more prominate when I flex my toes up. What type of treatment is necessary?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
7/4/2010
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by a podiatrist for a clinical examination for further evaluation .
Possible causes include-
Plantar fibromatosis
Ganglion cyst
Lipofibroma
Fibrolipoma
Callus
Your doctor may advise Orthotics,Padding,Physical therapy and if required excision should be recommended depending on underlying cause.
If you have pain then take OTC Motrin .
I hope this helps.

I read the link for plantar fibromatosis and I believe this describes my condition. Would staying off my feet for a few weeks help or is this something I will need to have treated? I don't have insurance.

Initial conservative treatment of plantar fibromatosis includes avoidance of direct pressure to the plantar fibromatosis nodules.
Well when the nodule is single and/or smaller, it is recommended to avoid direct pressure to the nodule.
Soft inner soles on footwear and padding may be helpful. Also available OTC.
You should take short breaks of rest while doing work as prolonged standing multiple times in a single stretch may also aggravate it.
If you either develop other nodule or if it's size is increasing even after taking conservative measures then you need to be seen by a podiatrist for further evaluation and management .
I hope this helps.
Does this condition also cause heel pain, or could that be another condition?
Well as such there may be associated inflammation of plantar fascia(Plantar fasciitis ) due to prolonged standing .
You should take OTC Motrin .
Wear flat shoes and avoid high heels .
Use OTC soft sole pads .
I hope this helps.
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor