How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Anil Your Own Question
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9151
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr.Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bump(cyst ) on the bottom of my foot in the center

Resolved Question:

I have a bump(cyst?) on the bottom of my foot in the center of my arch, what could have caused this? The bump is somewhat hard and seems to be in the tendon that runs along the bottom of my foot. It does not hurt when I push on it. It is more prominate when I flex my toes up. What type of treatment is necessary?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by a podiatrist for a clinical examination for further evaluation .
Possible causes include-
Plantar fibromatosis
Ganglion cyst
Your doctor may advise Orthotics,Padding,Physical therapy and if required excision should be recommended depending on underlying cause.
If you have pain then take OTC Motrin .
I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I read the link for plantar fibromatosis and I believe this describes my condition. Would staying off my feet for a few weeks help or is this something I will need to have treated? I don't have insurance.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 years ago.
Initial conservative treatment of plantar fibromatosis includes avoidance of direct pressure to the plantar fibromatosis nodules.
Well when the nodule is single and/or smaller, it is recommended to avoid direct pressure to the nodule.
Soft inner soles on footwear and padding may be helpful. Also available OTC.
You should take short breaks of rest while doing work as prolonged standing multiple times in a single stretch may also aggravate it.
If you either develop other nodule or if it's size is increasing even after taking conservative measures then you need to be seen by a podiatrist for further evaluation and management .
I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this condition also cause heel pain, or could that be another condition?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 years ago.
Well as such there may be associated inflammation of plantar fascia(Plantar fasciitis ) due to prolonged standing .
You should take OTC Motrin .
Wear flat shoes and avoid high heels .
Use OTC soft sole pads .
I hope this helps.
Dr.Anil and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you