Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is under a doctors care for respiratory problems…

Customer Question
My husband is under a...
My husband is under a doctors care for respiratory problems & just reduced his prednisone from 20mg to 10mg yesterday, as advised by his doctor in preparation for a biopsy on his lung. For about 2 hrs now, he has been having a serious problem breathing & he has taken all the medications prescribed by his doctor. What else can we do to help him breath easier & get some sleep?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/30/2010
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Dear JACUSTOMER-ad64tk0-,
Hello.I suggest you contact his doctor if possible as he is the person who has examined him recently and knows all about his condition.If the breathing problems do not respond to emergency drugs and inhaled therapy as advised by your doctor ,you may need to contact the ER .Apparently the nebulized Lidocaine is being used to reduce his steroid dependency and control the cough and bronchoconstriction.He may need Oxygen supplementation and other emergency drugs depending on his condition.Propping him up and keeping a sitting posture with backrest will help.Adequate hydration should be ensured as also hypoglycaemia should be avoided.
are you recommending I take him to emergency now for oxygen to help him breathe?
He needs to be relieved of his respiratory distress at the earliest.He can be checked at the hospital and emergency treatment can be done .The distress should be relieved as the problem may increase if allowed to linger.Your doctor if he can be contacted would be the best person to treat him.Failing that the ER would be the best bet.