Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I seem to have a severe allergy to blue dye used in paper…

Customer Question
i seem to have a...
i seem to have a severe allergy to blue dye used in paper folders and binders at work. contact with palms and fingers not a problem, but when skin contact with arms, severe rash and itching within two minutes, followed by dizzinesss, vomiting and diarrhea. what gives?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/30/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
has any tests been done for your symptoms?
are you diagnosed of any medical condition?
no tests. i do have known allergy to sulfa and penicillin based drugs since adolescence. also, same symptoms if i ingest any foods containing sesame oil. otherwise healthy and active.
Dear Jacustomer,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,I will advise that you see a physician who can do a physical exam,rast test,serum eosinophils as rast test will be able to tell us which all allergens ,food items ,medications are you senstvive too.
The data suggests that allergy which is a disorder of immune response is, mostly caused due to idiopathic(unknown) reasons,lead to overprodusction of histamine,produced by mast cells,can happen to anybody,so I will advise that post exposure to allergen,you may take over the counter cetirizine or loratidine which will help take care of your symptoms,another advise is to avoid the allergen,to stop the trigger of allergic response.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Relist: Answer quality.
i pretty much knew all of that--was hoping to get answer SPECIFIC to blue dyes and found more by myself doing google search on sulfa containing dyes--answer I got was based on common sense, not "expert advice"
Relist: Answer quality.
Relist: Answer quality.