Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am on 18mg methadone. Can i transfer to suboxone between…

Customer Question
I am on 18mg methadone...
I am on 18mg methadone. Can i transfer to suboxone between 24 to 36 hrs after last dose considering my low dose and fast metabolism?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/30/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Under the guidance of a physician you are certainly on a low enough dose to make the transfer, and this would be at least 24 hours after the last dose of your methadone. You should know that the transfer can cause discomfort for up to two weeks, more acute the first few days, then more in mood for the next week or more.
Physician guidance is important for any change in opiate regimens and for a plan and coordination in case of withdrawal symptoms.
Good luck
dt

Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only. I hope this information is useful. Please find me for future questions by asking for me in the question title, for any questions at all and to let me know how this goes.

DT