Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have previous medical records that chow i was prescribed…

Customer Question
I have previous medical records...
I have previous medical records that chow i was prescribed oxycodone for chronic pain (lower back). I am finding it impossible to fine another doctor that will prescribe me a lower dose pain medication like hydrocodone as I get very sick on the oxycodone and need to take something at least every 8 hours. Why am I having so much trouble getting a prescription? Why if at all will they only give me a 10 day prescription then charge me another 80 dollar office call charge to refill my prescriptions? I originally got diagnosed and treated for pain at the local Veterans hospital but I have a VERY difficult time scheduling an appointment to see my primary care doctor and I cad BARELY understand them with their heavy accent. What can I do to get a monthly supply of my pain medication without being treated like a drug addict or having to pay out the rear for office calls? Also, why is it so hard to find a doctors office that will accept cash? I have no insurance but have no problem paying for my service? I know what medication works for me but have been criticized by not taking their advice for an "antiinflamitory or a pain mrd that has not worked for me inm the past. I know what works for me and will not waste the little bit of money i have on their ideas. I have been daeling with this for 10 years not i know a little bit about what i'm talking about! Please help
William
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

What specialists have you seen to prescribe the chronic opiate medications?

my previous primary care doctor at the Veterans hospital, recently a dr. patel in big spribg TX and a one other whom i can't remember the name right now

Were these other two also primary care doctors?

Dr. Patel was the other was an urgent clynic where the doctor was also available to become your primary doctor for people who pay cash.

Thank you for the additional information.

The best option for you at this point is to see a Pain Management specialist. Pain Management doctors are more comfortable with the chronic use of opiates for control of chronic pain. They also tend to be more comfortable with providing a longer prescription, although there will probably need to be some time for them to feel that they can trust you. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of opiates sold on the street that have been diverted from patients that have gotten prescriptions from their doctors and sell them on the street rather than using them personally. Many doctors have become cautious about prescribing opiates, particularly to someone that presents insisting that they know that only one medicine works for them. The fact that yo have your old medical records will help, but it still will take some time for any new doctor to become comfortable with your situation. Most doctors will also expect regular drug screens, both to assure that there is no use of other medicines and that the person is sing the medicines rather than diverting the drug. If you ask to speak to the office manager when you make your first appointment and explain the situation that you will be paying cash, then appropriate arrangements can be made.

i have done ALL of what you just said and there is no one in my area whom is a pain management specialist that will see me and take CASH so no this information was not useful

OK.