Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been prescribed co-amoxiclav antibiotics and

Customer Question
clotrimazole cream for a skin...
I have been prescribed co-amoxiclav antibiotics and clotrimazole cream for a skin infection and am 15 weeks pregnant.
Please could you let me know what the risks are, if any, to my unborn baby and whether these are safe to use during pregnancy as I have read conflicting research on the internet.
Many thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Dr.Hussey, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and be upto your expectations .I have worked for last 4 yrs in fields of med,surg,ENT,Gynae& eye. Regarding your question, clotrimazole is safe as a topical applicant on skin. As far as antibiotics and other drugs are concerned , the first three months are important because the organ formation occurs in this period. Defects by drugs are mostly caused during this period. As you are in your 15th week of pregnancy, so its the second trimester and you are not in that danger zone of 1st trimester. Now coming to Co-Amoxiclav tablets, they fall in category B drugs. There are four categories of drugs according to their affects on fetus, cat-A being the most safe and cat-D being the most hazardous. Category-B means that the drugs have no known association to birth defects and pregnancy related problems and the drug is probably safe. Category-A is absolutely safe and very few drugs fall in this zone. There may be some conflicting reports on net and they may be driven by business interests as well. So do not worry, take your medication and hope for a very cute and healthy little angel. Please feel free to ask if you have any further question. Best of luck. Take care.