Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have very bad ezcema..... I have had it the past 3 years…

Customer Question
i have very bad ezcema.......
i have very bad ezcema..... I have had it the past 3 years since I moved to another province. I now have scaring over my body due to scratching.ive tried everything. Could I be allergic to my cat? Never had a cat before till I moved? Been to several differnt dermatolagists doctors etc and just say dry skin and give me the same stuff and answers and its not working. It may work for a few days but not longer than that. its all over my body and Im embarrest to wear a bathing suit
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
hello
since you have had eczema for a long time you could be atopic.
You will have to use cortisone based creams online in case of acute attacks of the eczema.
You should get yourself prescribed tacrolimus 0.1% which is very effective in keeping your eczema under control without any long term harmful effects of the medicines.
You should also find out the trigger factors by maintaining a diary of the suspected trigger factors .
Also do get your serum Ig E levels checked
thanks
I have never had eczema till I moved to Calgary Alberta, Canada which was 3 years ago. However when I moved, I changed my whole life style, new home, new job, new bf. Have a cat now which we've only had dogs. Ive tried that cream before and it doesnt help. The only thing that helped was the corisone pill and taking the prescribe allergy pills( cant remember name but they are little green pills), Never had my serum tested? What is that got to do with my eczema? i have all these scars and itchy. How do I get rid of that? Could I be allergic to something like my cat?
hello
there could be a high possiblity that you are allergic to something new in your environment. which may be flowers , to pollen to even cat dander. its difficult to pin point unless you notice and maintain a diary of the trigger factors.
cortisone may be work excellent in your case but long term intake is extremely harmful for your body.
So you have to take cortisone and anti histamine only in acute attacks and the tacrolimus cream which you have used before will work ONLY TO PREVENT THE ATTACK AND NOT TO TREAT IT .
Tacrolimus is an excellent cream to prevent recurrence. it is very slow in onset and has to be used for a minimum 6 months.
Serum IgE levels are high in allergies caused due to food intake.
thanks
Relist: I already know and have tried everything the doctor told me and its not working at all. What about tar bath?.
I already know and have tried everything the doctor told me and its not working at all. What about tar bath?
hello
Tar bath will exacerbate your eczema because of the irritation potential
There is an option of taking injections :
adalimumab 40 mg taken subcutaneoulsy which are the latest in the treatment of severe eczemas.
other options include azathipprine and cyclosporin tablets
thanks
Are those safe that I can take everyday? and bring down the flare? Also are they expensive? I don't have any benefits through work right now, so taking medication can get pretty expensive for me. I just want this to go away and not have to worry about it anymore. I've heard some people have taking tar bath and now they have no spots on their body except for one little spot that comes and goes. its soo ichy and leaving scars on my body. Stomach, back lower back, forarm, armpits, hands wrists, thighs, shins. Pretty much everywhere except for where the sun dont shine and my face. I've been lucky that way but I cant wear a bathing suit or shorts or tshirt without people asking and me getting embarrest
hello
Tar baths are very helpful in cases of Psoriasis . If you have such high intense itching it is veryunlikey for it to be psoriasis
If you have had eczema in the past and present there is a chance that eczema can spread further.
Has your condition been diagnosis with a skin biopsy ? and proven to be eczema? and not psoriasis?
thanks