Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Thursday, 24 July, during my 8 hr swing shift, my right knee…

Customer Question
Thursday, 24 July, during my...
Thursday, 24 July, during my 8 hr swing shift, my right knee decided to swell up. I'm a Blackjack dealer. I was fine taking the 2 flights, 1 flight of stairs to work up; then later a 1 flight down/1flight up to/from the employee dining room (EDR); but the next before the next break I knew something was wrong with my right knee. It ached & there was no way to take the stairs without discomfort. I later asked the pit boss to please let me have a sit down table because of the twinge/discomfort. When I got home I could see the water swelling in bottom right & top left. Will the water re-absorb into my system? I haven't had to request another sit down table, yet. I am a healthy, white female, 56 years old. There is no fever or discoloration.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

Welcome to just answer.com.

The swelling of the knee is due to increase in exudation of fluid into the knee joint. it is due to an irritation of the internal covering of the knee by inflammation (like the nose run if irritated)

The cause of the inflammation, if you did not have any direct injury, might be due to an osteoarthritis and or unrecognized injury to the cruciate ligamement during frequent flight of the stairs.

my advise is that you need to make appointment to see a doctor so it can be examined thoroughly. (If undiagnosed and treated properly , may become chronic and debilitating in the long term)

They may want to do MRI, to be specific about the cause.

MEANWHILE follow the RICE protocol until your appointment

REST

ICE (pack ice around it for 10-15 minutes twice daily break time at work/ before bed)

COMPRESS use a knee support (can be purchased in any pharmacy)

ELEVATE place on a pillow when sitting or lying at home.

You can take Brufen 400mg 3 times with food.