Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible for a woman to contract strep throat by

Customer Question
giving oral sex to her...
Is it possible for a woman to contract strep throat by giving oral sex to her man, and if so, how do we eliminate the strep virus from the man's genitals so it is no longer possible.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Strep is a bacterial infection, not a virus, and it would be VERY unlikely to get a strep infection from the penis to your mouth - it just does not happen.
Is there something else then that could cause strep like throat symptoms for my girlfriend as a result of her performing oral sex, or is it likely just a coincidence that she has had symptoms on several occassions after doing that.
The majority of time, a sore throat is NOT strep, but a simple respiratory virus. Although many people believe strep occurs when they have a sore throat, the majority of time, in an adult - it is NOT strep. And, if NOT strep, and just a viral infection - this occurs due to a cold virus, or similar and this just happens - it does NOT occur do to having sex.
Same for the bacterial infection Strep throat - it just happens - but not from sex.
Hello...