Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a swelling and tenderness at te top portion of my…

I have a swelling and...
I have a swelling and tenderness at te top portion of my somach area (just under my solar plexus). It feels like it becomes inflamed with what feels like gas symptoms: bloatedness, pain, more pronounced swelling, whenever I eat dairy products. Takes days for the increased dis-ease to dissipate although the swelling jst never goes away there is definitely a mass of some sort there. What could it be? I'm so nervous to go get it checked and it is uncomforable for the area to be touched. Please help.
6/29/2010
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

Is the swelling visible?

Does it increase in size with dairy products?

I am still available online to answer your queries after I get the above info.
Doctor, the swelling is visible even when no dairy products are ingested but it becomes more so whenever they are. When i lie on my stomach i feel there is definitely a mass there.
Thanks for the additional info.

It could be a pyloric stenosis or an intestinal obstruction, aggravated by taking dairy products.

Please do an ultrasound of the abdomen to confirm the diagnosis so that aapropriate managment can be planned. You should also consult a GI surgeon.

I hope my answer was helpful to you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only.
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
How is a diagnosis such as the one you have given usually treated? Is there anything i can do in the interim to bring relief other than staying away from dairy products?
Treatment will depend on the cause for these conditions. You wil have to undergo an ultrasound followed by a CAT scan of the abdomen to identify the reason for the mass. You can take Gas X and mylanta to reduce the bloatedness ,take an antispasmodic llike cystospaz or anaspaz orally ike to reduce the abdominal pain.