Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Three nights in the last ten, I have woken up with shivering…

Three nights in the last...
Three nights in the last ten, I have woken up with shivering and chills.......my body shakes and my teech chatter. I have to pile on extra blankets and turn on the heating pad. Then, in about an hour, it's over. What's up???
6/29/2010
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
are you diagnosed of any medical condition?
any fever?
nausea?
vomting?
recent history of travel?
rash?
no to all questions
Dear Jacustomer,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,I will advise that you see a physician who can do a physical exam,serum TSH as low thyroid hormone can present with similar shivering and chills as you described,due to temperature intolerance.
Viral(flu) also may also be underlying cause if your present symptoms,so that also should be discussed with your physician.
I will also advise that you ask your physician to do complete blood count,to rule out any malignancy ,as it too may present with similar symptoms too,to be on safe side.
No history of trauma,no fever makes other possibility less likely.

Thanks

I decided to sit down and think about what else has been going on during this time period......... I have been very tired and stressed from getting together two non-profit fundriasers in a week, in the heat and sun, which I usually avoid, doing much more lifting and carrying than usual while running a summer program for kids; then yesterday I slept for two hours in the afternoon (highly unusual) and then had two hours of watery loose stools that had a sort of rotten fruity smell.

Don't know if this helps.....let me know

Thanks for the extra information,

The bout of watery loose stools ,present symptoms do point toward viral (flu) infection,so I will advise that you take fluids like gatorade,multivitamins which will help take care of your symptoms.
If the symptoms do not subside then serum TSH ,as I mentioned in my previous post should be done to rule out underlying thyroid problems.Malignancy also may present with similar symptoms,but they mostly present with other associated symptosm like weight loss,recurrent low grade fever,which is not in your case,so maligancy seems less likely.

Thanks

Please click on accept,if satsified with my answer.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Thank you so much
Your welcome,

Regards