Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need some guidance as what to do about my niece. I belive…

Customer Question
I need some guidance as...
I need some guidance as what to do about my niece. I belive she's suffering severe depression but she absolutly refuses to discuss it. She chooses to self medicate w vicadone percocet and alcohol. She sleeps constantly. Has three kids under 10yrs of age whom are being neglected, living in filth hungry most of the time spend their days running the house w no supervision. Have called social services as have others but they dont seem to take this serious. They call and let her know when their coming which gives her time to clean up at least presentable to the case worker. These kids have been in the house up from 7 or 8am and mom doesnt get up til noon or later. I've been very close to the kids for all their life but because she looks at me as the bad guy, wanting to take her kids from her she has cut me out of her and the kids life. I feel bad for the kids cause they love me and love coming to my house. They have disipline, structure, decent food and love here. Please, I need help w this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Greetings. Sometimes it is difficult to convince people that the path they are on is the wrong one because it is easier for them to continue in their current condition than to face up to their problems. Have you considered gathering a number of friends and family members together and meeting with her so you can present a united front? It is easier to ignore one person than four or five.