Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 45 y.o. male pt. who has become heavily addicted to…

Customer Question
I have a 45 y.o...
I have a 45 y.o. male pt. who has become heavily addicted to provigil on a daily basis for the past 16 months
How severe should I expect his withdrawal symptoms to be and could recommend a withdrawal protocol
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Family Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
How much Provigil is he taking?

Are you a health care provider, family member of friend of this person?

Has this medication been prescribed for him or is he taking without a prescription?
I am going to have to sign off for the evening, when you have the time, please respond to my questions, and I will get back to you tomorrow with an answer.
He has been taking 1600 to 2000mg per day. He was started on Provigil by his psychitrist who told him that Provigil "is absolutly not addicting" However after my pt. started taking Provigil he did become addicted!! I am a psychitrist and he has come to me for "second opinion" The povigil was prescribed up to 800 mg per day, he then started using the internet to obtain more.
Unfortunately, there is not much published on withdrawal from this medication. One published study did look to see if there were any withdrawal symptoms following abrupt discontinuation (not at this high of a dose) - and found no withdrawal symptoms.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16426100

Obviously I would want to slowly wean the medication just as a precaution to avoid the potential for any withdrawal symptoms, but none have been reported in the literature.