Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

OVARIAN CANCER/BREAST CANCER: I was supposed to have pelvic…

Customer Question
OVARIAN CANCER/BREAST CANCER: I was...
OVARIAN CANCER/BREAST CANCER: I was supposed to have pelvic surgery to remove/identify/stage an ovarian mass tomorrow, but it was postponed by the surgeon today because a mass was identified in my right breast (in tests a few days ago) that both the GYN surgeon and oncologist want biopsied before doing surgery. Does this make sense? I am scared to death, and have been walking knowing about this ovarian mass that is about 9 x 7 x 9 for weeks now - going thru lots and lots of tests. Now, the day before surgery, it is cancelled, and the focus is on a newly discovered mass in my right breast that has been categorized as "suspicious abnormality." I have been quickly referred to a breast surgeon, and am having an ultrasound-guided needle localization biopsy in the morning. But for now, I am very scared & was wondering if there's any advice or comments that someone could provide. Does this sound right? Is there anything special I should do or ask? How long can my pelvic surgery be delayed, and how quickly will whatever treatment for this breast mass be identified? I haven't had a decent night's sleep in almost 4 weeks now, and was looking forward to getting answers from tomorrow's pelvic surgery ... which has now been replaced with a breast biopsy procedure instead. Can someone help me or clarify anything just for my peace of mind? I'd certainly appreciate it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Dear Jacustomer,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms and anxiety,

Based on what you mentioned,your physician most likely want to rule out metastasis of any cancer,so that is the reason,they will get the biopsy of breast mass first which could be secondary metastasis from a primary cancer ,then when they get the report,they may decide on surgery.
If they are not associated surgery will be appropraite,but if metastatsis is found then ,surgery vs chemo is taken into consideration depending on the stage.

There is a pso a possibility that your breast and pelvis mass ,could be benign of no significance,but these tests needs to be done,to be on safe side.

Thanks

The GYN surgeon said that breast cancer is sometimes seen as a primary, with ovarian cancer coming from that. And she said that doctors don't want to use general anesthesia more than necessary, so if breast surgery (I don't know what that means) needs to be done, she would like to coordinate with pelvic surgery. My problem is the ovarian mass has been said to be suspicious for cancer because of all of the radiology tests, including size, complexity of the mass, pelvic fluid, small calcified border, and intensity signals/enhancing components. The mass in my breast is small only 7 x 5 x 7 mm ---- so HOW can a surgery for ovarian cancer be postponed? I have been waiting almost 4 weeks already .... and cannot imagine waiting another 4 weeks. It just seems too long. And I'm wondering if I should just take my records to another doctor, or see how the breast biopsy results come back. What do you think?

I do understand ,it is very difficult to wait.
As your pelvic mass is suspicious of cancer,so then treatment of ovarian cancer depends on staging,surgery vs chemo,so biopsy of breast mass will let us know that.That is the most likely reason,your physician is waiting.
I will recommend that you to take the records to other physician,as it is always better to have a second opinion.

Thanks