Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pink rash that turns reddish when I get hot or come…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a pink...
Hello, I have a pink rash that turns reddish when I get hot or come directly out of the shower. It doesn't really itch at all and it's flat, not raised. It doesn't have any open or sore areas, but it has covered my lower back and now starting to dot my arms and chest. It seems as though the hotter I get the more dominant and red they get. When I awake in the morning they are a salmon/pink color. When I push on them, they turn back the color of my skin then darken back. What could this be and how can I get rid or them? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2010
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It is difficult at best to really get a reliable diagnosis of a rash without having someone take a look at it. I may be able to list some possible diagnoses or problems that might lead to such a rash.

It would be helpful to me to know how long the rash has been noticed? Has this been a day, a few days or a week or longer?

The reactivity of your skin and this rash are normal changes in the reactivity of the skin. The skin is going to be more reactive when warm or hot. Capillaries near the skin dilate when you take a warm or hot shower and this will enhance the appearance of the rash.

How large are the skin lesions>>these dots... about 1mm, or larger??

Are they completely flat vs being very slightly raised?

So far I picture the pattern as being likely consistent with a viral exantham or atopic dermatitis as a couple of possible culprits that may have caused it. The viral exantham is simply some viral infection that may be associated with the development of a rash. A common one that we are immunized against is measles. (I don't think it is likely measles but merely list it here as an example) There are many viral infections which might cause a touch of illness otherwise perhaps with some upper respiratory symptoms or with some GI symptoms such as a mild diarrhea which may also create a rash as part of the illness. In this case the body's reaction to the viral illness is the underlying cause of the rash. Even though you do not currently itch this may be a later symptom. On the other hand it may be resolved by morning. Taking an anti-histamine may help and would not hurt anything. Benedryl 25 mg at bedtime and Zyrtec 10 mg in the AM is a regimen that I often recommend.

Your rash might be caused by an atopic dermatitis which is an allergic reaction. Your lack of itching at this point and the lack of any raised lesions makes this seem less likely.

The distribution of the rash could fit with a condition called pityriasis rosea. This typically is more prominent on the back but may involve the trunk(including the chest) and the proximal arms and legs. It typically has a Christmas tree distribution of the back.This condition has small oval shaped pink to tawny macules (flat) or papules(slightly raised) . This condition resolves on its own in 6 to 12 weeks. Its course may be shortened with treatment of UV light.

Certain infections including the second stage of syphilis may cause such a rash and should be ruled out if you think this may be a risk.

Certain drug reactions may cause such a rash and a review of your meds would be of significance here.

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions, information , discussion then these would all be welcome. I will be happy to get back with you if you do. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD