Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 34, I have o.c.d, and have had it since a boy. It has…

Customer Question
I am 34, I have...
I am 34, I have o.c.d, and have had it since a young boy. It has been an up and down journey, but always under control.(At one point it vertually disappeared) I have never seen a doctor about it, and the only soul I've ever told in my life is my wife (and only recently due to rituals getting out of hand) I don't know why.. Perhaps it's the burden of house mortgage commitments and married life etc.. But it has, in the last two years, spiraled out of control. I now have one silly ritual placed upon another and I just cant cope. I know I need to see a doctor, but I just cant walk in there and blurt it all out. I am sceptical about there being medicines anyway. In all other aspects of my life, I am fine and normal. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Hi, OCD is quite common and no reason to be embarrassed by it. I have treated many patients with it. There are meds that can help along with therapy. No need to suffer when there are good treatment options.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer too brief and impersonal. Took huge courage to write.
do you have a specific follow up question?
No not really. I was weary to begin with seeing you are so young, and of course from the U.S. Where people often think that the discomfort of grease between their fingers from eating chicken is o.c.d.
I have a son your age. 33 actually. Greasy fingers are not OCD. I have seen many cases in over 30 years of practice and there are very affective treatments.