Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had intermittent diarrhea (skips as much as three…

I have had intermittent diarrhea...
I have had intermittent diarrhea (skips as much as three days) It started at a conference in Cincinnati, eating catered food. Upon my return home, it stopped for about three days. There have since been two incidents, about 3 days apart. My diet is the same as always. We buy fresh ingredients and cook our own food. Imodium "helps" in the sense that it stops the symtoms, which are often substituted by flatulence.
6/28/2010
Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
What is the longest you have gone without diarrhea since it started?
3 days
Unfortunately, your intestines are still irritated and have not returned to normal.There is something in your regular diet that is irritating them again, and it may be hard to determine what it is.make sure you avoid vegetables and fruits,spicy food, fried food etc. Basically, you need to stick to the RICE diet.You will likely have to do this for about 1 week.The original episode of diarrhea may have beeen caused by a virus, which would have since gone away.But the problem is that your intestines have not fully recovered from the initial insult,and there is something in your diet that keeps re-aggravating them, and that is why you need to stick to the RICE diet

Let me know if you have more questions
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA.
With all due respect to the answers above, we don't know how long this has been going on in total. In addition, we can not just assume it was a virus.
For example, the parasite giardia is wide spread and although one would normally fight it off it can become chronic. One of the main characteristics is gas. Sampling the stool for ova and parasites on three different samples is a standard screen.

Your diet might help with diarrhea sometimes but in diarrhea the standard in such situations has been to identify a cause and to eat a wholesome diet. Rice, bananas and oatmeal will not provide adequate nutrition for too long. Soluble fiber is soothing to the GI track but can also be found in peeled and steamed veggies, stewed fruit, peeled apples, cooked legumes and grains, and so on.

Just because this started after eating catered food, does not mean you don't simply have another condition [as opposed to food borne illness or "irritation"] that needs to be diagnosed. A gi doctor or an internist would:
a. check the stool for blood on a rectal exam and this is important.
b. Exam your abdomen completely.
c. Order the above mentioned tests for parasites.
d. Check blood chemistries including liver function.
A GI doctor, assuming your internist referred you to this sub-specialty, might well want to do a scope. In fact, if you have not had a screening colonoscopy, which would be good for 10 years for excluding colon cancer, then you should. You would cover a lot of ground with this, also ruling out inflammatory bowel disease and other colon conditions such as diverticulosis.

All of these considerations are important and you should be able to take advantage of them.
Good luck
dt

Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only. I hope this information is useful. Please find me for future questions by asking for me in the question title, for any questions at all and to let me know how this goes.

DT

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician