Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My allergies are terrible. I get allergy inj. every week AND…

Customer Question
Hi, My allergies are terrible...
Hi, My allergies are terrible. I get allergy inj. every week AND take allegra and use nasal spray. I think I am allergic to everything except cement. We live in Northern Ca. On May 17th I flew back home to Pa. Sacramento to Phoenix then to Pa. I spent 8 days there. I flew back to Phoenix then Phoenix to Sacramento. This flight dropped in altitude quickly. The lady next to me gave me chewing gum but we were squeezing our noe and pulling our ear lobes. Then she spoke to me and I could barely hear her. F inally my ears were clear and I could hear. Two days later my balance was off and I was slurring. My med. doctor ordered an ultrasound of my carotids----ok. Having been an R.N. for 27 years(retired) I checked symptoms for middle and inner ear infections. Symptoms were a match. So-- I had some errythromycin from 10-17 prescribed by my allergy Dr. for bronchitis. Two days later my appendix ruptured so that's why I had the antibiotic. I took it and within 4 days my balance was back to normal and the slurring was gone. Tried to finish the antibiotic but the diarrhea started and continued. I have IBS so that was it for the antibiotic. Now, balance is slightly off and I noticed my slurring is creeping back. I would like to know your thoughts before I see my med. Dr. tomorrow. Please and thank you! Patti
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/28/2010
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Thanks for your question.

Do you have one or more of the following symptoms?

Nasal obstruction

Flu

Fluid trickling in throat

Ear ringing

Ear crackling(sounds)

Hearing loss(if yes mention which ear)

How much your speech is affected.

Any numbness in face

Do you feel unsteady or feel like room is spinning

Regards

Hi, thank you for your quick response. I do not have numbness on my face or any other numbness. My hearing appears to be alright. Always seem to have a " runny" nose especially this time of the year. Nasal drainage always when I go to sleep, then the coughing starts. When I turn right or left quickly, I feel off balance or dizzy. I don't have the flu. Some ear crackling especially after I blow my nose and believe me when I blow my nose it scares my dg!!!! I don' feel like the room is spinnig, but I feel a bit unsteady and hold on to the wall or kitchen counter at times. I should mention I have had a mild ache in my rt. ear sometimes and one time when we flew back from my home { still call it home} both ears were "blocked" for 7 days. Sure was nice to hear again------well kind of----just kidding.

Thanks for your reply.

I am an ENT and head & neck Surgeon with experience of dealing such problems.

The condition which you are suffering in my opinion is Rhinosinusitis plus otitis media with effusion.

The main pathology starts from runny nose( allergic rhinitis), it cause congestion in nose with subsequent blockade of the ostium of the sinuses. The stasis of secretions in sinuses make them infected. So it is basically inflammation of the sinuses and results in production of infected secretions in the sinuses. This infected secretions when trickle down in the throat causes that intractable cough due to throat irritation. the blockade of ear tubes present behind the nose result in negative middle ear pressure & ear blockade.

As far as dizziness is concerned it can be because of benign positional vertigo but i cannot be sure because its not just unsteadiness rather it cause severe vertigo, but one thing is for sure that unsteadiness is because of inner ear pathology.

Taking just antibiotics will never cure you and that too erythromycin because it is no more good for these infections.

You need to visit ENT doctor to get you examination & investigations like nasoendoscopy, pure tone and brain stem evoked response audiometry, CT scan for sinuses and MRI for ears and brain (if required), culture/sensitivity of nose secretions

The medicines you need are

Xylometazoline nasal spray, 2 puffs Thrice daily for seven days only.

Tab Telfast D(fexofenadine plus pseudoephiderine) twice daily.

Antibiotics (like levofloxacin)

Steam inhalation with menthol twice daily.

Use chewing gum, it will help unblocking your ears.

Right now you can take Tab Stemetil 10mg, three times a day for five days, it will really help you in maintaining your balance. I hope its available OTC, otherwise you can take Tab Meclizine.

I have one more suspicion which is because of slurred speech, it of some brain or cerebellum pathology, for which i will suggest that visit a neurologist also. It will b basically ENT and neurologist who will evaluate and treat you.

On website basically we can give assumptive diagnosis basing on history, its basically to guide you so that you should have an idea how to proceed, rest the doctor who examine you can better judge you.

I am sure if you discuss these things with your doctor , he will take you in a right direction & you will be fine soon.

Regards ***** ***** of prayers for you.

Dr Hasan