Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A week ago, my 30 year old husband was given antibiotic eye…

Customer Question
A week ago, my 30...
A week ago, my 30 year old husband was given antibiotic eye drops for what the eye doctor called a viral infection. Since then he has had an on and off fever, sore throat, burning/irritated eyes, bad headaches, nausea and some vomiting throughout the week. My husband works in construction and is currently remodeling an attic space. He has been in close contact with rodent feces and carcasses--he even got a face full of the stuff when pulling out a board section. Tonight he sneezed/pulled a white worm with a red stripe measuring an inch or less from his nose. Can one contract worms from rodent feces, and if so, is it possible for eggs to be absorbed through the mouth, nose and eyes? Could this just be a one-worm thing, or is it possible for eggs to fertilize in the nasal, eye, and throat passages? What should our course of action be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/28/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. Does the worm move? Has head & tail end? Can you upload its picture?

Regards.

He says it didn't move. It looked like a maggot, except it was smooth and pinkish with a red line directly through the center of it. There were a couple block dots on one end that could have been the head end, but it dropped on the floor at first so it could have been dirt.

Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Maggots are sometimes found in the nose in the larval phase of the development of insect. These are developmental stages of the fly. You need to take it for an inspection by doctor. However maggots usually move in the fresh state. If it does not move then another possibility is simple mucus thread with blood in it. He should have an examination of the nose by doctor. If there is any growth of maggots there, it will be evident. Fever, sore throat, headaches, etc can also be due to a viral or a bacterial infection of the upper respiratory tract. I would advise that he should consult his GP first. If he thinks he can refer to an ENT specialist.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish his early recovery.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.