Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I experience pain aching and someplaces pinching where I…

Customer Question
I experience pain aching and...
I experience pain aching and someplaces pinching where I have varicose veins from the posterior vulva, thigh, knee, calf and ankle sometimes not letting me sleep. What kind of doctor should I see?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Well, if you wish to have these evaluated -- finding a doctor (surgeon) who evaluates varicose veins is helpful.

These can be vascular surgeons, or general surgeons, or plastic surgeons -- all of which can peform procedures to help treat these varicose veins.

But because not all vascular or general or plastic surgeons treat varicose veins, you'll have to ask around to find those that do -- and the best way to get that information is to ask for a referral from your family doctor, who will know who around the area performs these procedures.
Relist: The answer was so general. My research suggests a radiologist, some other avenue, I just went to a vascular surgeon that said he did injections as that was what I worked before but when I went in he said he didn't know about injections for varicose veins. Who would diagnos the many different causes. None of the internet sites offered posterior thigh varicosity, they focused on the calf. My question is vulva, posterior thigh, knee, calf and ankle. Who see the total picture of these problems or do I go from specialist to specialist and where do I begin?.
The answer was so general. My research suggests a radiologist, some other avenue, I just went to a vascular surgeon that said he did injections as that was what I worked before but when I went in he said he didn't know about injections for varicose veins. Who would diagnos the many different causes. None of the internet sites offered posterior thigh varicosity, they focused on the calf. My question is vulva, posterior thigh, knee, calf and ankle. Who see the total picture of these problems or do I go from specialist to specialist and where do I begin?
Radiologists do not generally treat varicose veins.

In most cases, they are diagnostic physicians, not treating physicians, so they would not generally be the appropriate doctor. Of course, you may find a handful of interventional radiologist that perform varicose vein sclerosis, but that is not the norm at all.

Unfortunately the answer is general, because there isn't a specialty for "varicose vein doctors". There are vascular surgeons, and plastic surgeons, and general surgeons that have decided to specialize in out patient procedures to help with varicose veins, and they probably will do all of the lower leg (except the vulva, which would be the domain of a gynecologist). A doctor that treats varicose veins could do the thigh, knee, calf and ankle all together.
Will the gynecologist check the anal varicosity and pelvis?
Wouldn't the vaginal and anal and pelvis all be related?
One person said the cause might be in the stomach. If a gynecologist would look at the vaginal, anal and pelvis then who would I go to for the stomach.
Got to tell you, I am the healthiest person I know. This is the only think that is wrong, all my tests and lifestyle are great. Except for the lack of sleep from the pain and curbed activities I am well.
The gynecologist can check those areas. The venous drainage from this area is all related, so yes, the vaginal and anal and pelvic areas could be related. They all drain into the abdominal veins, so people with portal hypertension (liver issues) can have increased pressure in their veins, leading to varicose and more prominent veins.