Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I heard the other day on TV that if a welder has severe

Customer Question
trimbling of the hands that...
I heard the other day on TV that if a welder has severe trimbling of the hands that it has something to do with the welding. it this true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/28/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

Welcome to justanswer.com

There is some evidence that the manganese from welding fumes may cause a tremor of the hands and other symptoms similar to parkinson's syndrome.

http://www.toxicweldingrodfumes.com/

The above website might explain in detail for your informationj

I already knew about that. He has not been around manganese. All other types of metal, but not manganese, he has welded for over 30 years. Are there any other diagoneses.

You misunderstood the INFORMATION COMPLETELY.

Metals including steel are fortified by Manganese to make them more malleable and increase their tensile strength, and so during welding the fumes from this in inhaled by welders. So he is NOT in contact with manganese, but as a welder, there is no way he could know which metals or alloys had manganese as part of the make up. IN those 30 YEARS.

There are other environmental chemical that have the same effect, BUT in welders this is the most likely EXPLANATION

It is thought that some persons (like in Parkinson's) are more genetically predisposed.