Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sodium was 125 with nml 135-146 and chloride 93 with

Customer Question
nml...98-110...also...carbon dioxide 16 and nml...21-33...what...
My sodium was 125 with nml 135-146 and chloride 93 with nml...98-110...also...carbon dioxide 16 and nml...21-33...what is wrong with me???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/28/2010
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

The low sodium may be caused by different problems. This can be caused by an over-production of a hormone that causes the kidneys to reabsorb too much water. This is referred to as SIADH standing for syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone. This condition in itself has several potential causes. The causes of the low sodium (primarily ) and the chloride (secondarily) are sometimes due to certain medications so a review of what you take is an important aspect of the work up.

The problems in your electrolytes may be produced by a primary kidney problem in some cases.

The low bicarbonate is metabolic acidosis and this also has several potential causes.

There is not a simple straight forward answer as to the why. This is a problem which needs to be sorted out based on your medical history, symptoms, medications which you may currently be taking and further tests will need to be run. There are several possible reasons for these results.

Too low of sodium is for starters dangerous. It could cause swelling of the brain and seizures as possible complications. It does need to be sorted out and corrected.

I hope this helps to some degree. You may have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you and try to answer these if you do. If my answer is helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
I am very tired, on the Medifast diet. Drinking about 80 oz. water/fluid daily,,,I just don't seem to have any energy...my pcp got these results, I believe from Medifast, and did not comment to me re: them...Could I have low thyroid?

Hello again,

Low sodium (medical term = hyponatremia) may cause symptoms of fatigue. You may need to restrict water for a period of time depending on the cause.

I'm not familiar with the Medifast diet and so I'm not sure if this could be a factor in this problem.

The bot***** *****ne is that you need medical attention for this problem without delay even if this means going to the emergency room.

This particular problem is complex in nature and not easy to explain either. It has a variety of potential causes>>> SIADH (= a hormone that is produced by the pituitary gland which when secreted in excess causes the body to retain too much free water and thus dilutes the sodium and other electrolytes) Certain kidney diseases may cause this problem. Adrenal insufficiency may cause the problem. Certain pulmonary disease, malignancies are potential causes. Heart failure can be a cause. Liver disease can cause this as well. It can sometimes relate to hypothyroidism but most with hypothyroidism do not present with this degree of hyponatremia(low sodium).

The work up to determine the cause needs to include blood tests for serum osmolality, thyroid function, adrenal function, pituitary function, and ruling out heart failure or severe liver disease.The urine electrolytes need to be analyzed as well. High blood sugar needs to be ruled out as a possible cause.

The ER can perform tests quickly and get results back quickly which will help in your case to categorize the cause and help to direct what form of treatment will help to correct the problem. It is possible that a specialist such as an endocrinologist or a nephrologist as a couple of examples may need to help direct your treatment and follow up.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD