Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sore toe that has a burning sensation at the base…

Customer Question
I have a sore toe...
I have a sore toe that has a burning sensation at the base of the toe. when I lay down it get worse. When I'm standing or walking it goes away. I also have a pressure point further up my foot that when pressed makes the toe burn like crazy. It is the two next to my big toe on the left foot.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you suffer from any medical conditions?

Q. Are you on any medication?

Q. Is the sore discharging a clear fluid?

Q. How long has it been?

Q. Does it itch?

Q. Do you have sweaty feet or wear socks all the time?

Thanks for the quick reply.

No medical conditions that I am aware of

No medication

No discharging

Toe only became sore a few days ago

no itching

feet are a bit sweaty but have been wearning slippers for the past fwe days.

Basically my toe hurts. I'ts not broken (as far as I can tell), I've not kicked it or walked into anything. It gets worse when I lay down. It does no0t appear to have any kind of insect bite. It's not swollen, bruised. It is a little bit red at the base where it attaches to the foot and this is where it is hurting

Thanks for the details.

I was ruling out trauma, fractures, fungal or bacterial infections in the Q and A.

It seems more like gout or arthritis.

I think you need to get it physically examined to start with. Such conditions are difficult to rule out without physically and clinically evaluating them.

For now I would suggest, you take a good anti inflammatory analgesic, like Naproxen 550 mg thrice daily or Tylenol 2 tablets 6-8 hourly. Keep the left foot elevated while lying down with a pillow or two placed under it. This will help with the pain.

You can also use cold compresses to reduce the inflammation.

A Liquigel pain killer like Froben or Dicloran liquigel can be applied on the sore area before going to bed for adequate pain relief.

Visit your PCP when you see fit for a laboratory workup to rule out the following:

Gout

Arthritis

Trauma or soft tissue injury

--Hope this was helpful--

Best wishes.

Thanks. I have a history of gout in my family, my grandfather and uncle both have it.

I am from Australia and holidaying in Hawaii. My toe only started to hurt when I arrived in Hawaii.

Sorry about the delay, I was busy in a medical emergency.

Then the first step would be to gout out, since you have a family history of gout.

Environmental and dietry change can aggravate gout, it is likely that you changed your diet to a more proteinaceous one, so that could have aggravated the gout.

Remember to click ACCEPT (GREEN BUTTON) so that I get credit for my work and time. Hope you get well soon.

Best Regards.